Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Shingoose and Duke Redbird


















*Since the release of Native North America (Vol. 1): Aboriginal Folk, Rock, and Country 1966-1985 last November, my life has been filled w/ many positive twists and turns. I've been pushing as hard as I can to raise awareness about this project, its era, and the still pertinent music contained within. This is a true labour of love and I appreciate all of the kind words and vibrations that have come my way. Thank you! It's quite the trip to think that when I found my first original 1975 copy of Shingoose's Native Country 7" EP (whose "Silver River" is featured on NNA V1) over 10 years ago, that I'd be sitting on a Toronto patio garden w/ its creators, Curtis Jonnie (aka Shingoose) and Duke Redbird and discussing music, life, and people. Joined by 'Goose's son and NNA V1 artist Eric Landry, we were all blessed to hear Duke share a new poem about the residential school system. Considering that our ears were still ringing from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission report from the day before, his passionate and truthful words touched our hearts and souls profoundly. Hands down, I've never heard such a dynamic and affecting speaker as Duke Redbird. It was so cool to hear old spars 'Goose and Duke bounce ideas and riff off of each other as they have done as collaborators for so many years and to have them present at our NNA V1 gathering later that evening along w/ the daughter of the dearly departed Morley Loon (*more to come on that soon). As for what's ahead, only time will tell, but I have a feeling that this story is far from over... PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment